Policies & Procedures

Student Organization Policies, Procedures, and Resources


All student organizations must abide by the: 

  • 2023-2024 Student Organization Policies
  • The university does not approve off campus events, however all organizations are expected to comply with all policies and submit required information as requested.
  • ALL ACTIVE ORGS that would like to receive bear grants from SGA MUST submit an updated W-9 (filled out correctly as a 501c7) to Campus Life before the bear grant process begins in the fall.
  • Also submit a copy of your bank account info (cross out personal info and account #) and an updated constitution with a statement at the top: “This organization operates as a not for profit since recognition on…”

Event Planning

Check 25 Live to avoid any scheduling conflicts as best as possible (keep in mind that it may take several days for approved events to appear on the calendar). Complete a student organization reservation request. Email campuslife@mercer.edu if you have questions about Mercer's event policies. 

Travel Policy and Form

Travel Policy

Travel Form (Must be submitted 48 hours before travel to the Campus Life Office. Copy of signed form must be submitted to the Office of Student Affairs to receive SGA funds for travel BEFORE the trip.)

Vehicle Release Form (fill out and turn in BEFORE a trip in which you drive a vehicle-only drivers need to fill out the form)

Student Organization Renewal 

Renew your student organization for the 2023-2024 academic year here

  • All student organizations are required to renew once a year with Campus Life or at any time officers change.
  • Only renewed student organization will be permitted to register for Bear Fair 2023. 
  •  Bear Fair registration begins in early July to renewed organizations. 
  • Once renewed, make sure to update all new officer and advisor information for the 2023-2024 Academic Year on your Bear Pulse account. Please also add an updated description in BearPulse if anything has changed.

If you have any questions or issues with renewing your information, please contact the Office of Campus Life at 478-301-2868 or campuslife@mercer.edu .

Start a New Student Organization

Consider the 3 categories of student organizations and click the link to start the process of establishing your new organization:

  • Religious Affiliated: A student organization that provides faith/religion to the Mercer Community.Steps to Create a Religious Affiliated Organization
  • Club Sports: A student organization that provides students with an athletic component to their college education and is not affiliated with the Athletic Department.
    • To start a new club sport at Mercer, please contact Alex Pettola, Associate Director of Recreational Sports and Wellness at (478) 301-2404 or pettola_as@mercer.edu
  • New Student Organization: Any student organization that is either academic, governing, honorary, service, publication affiliated, or of special interest.

Advisor Information

Being a student organization can be a big committment, and Campus Life is here to help. We are thankful for all the work you do with students to better their college experience. Please see the Student Organization Advisor Manual for best practices and policies. When you agree to advise a student organzation, make sure to sign the Advisor signature page and submit it to Campus Life. 

Non-Academic Misconduct Process for Student Organizations

Student organizations are expected to operate in accordance with the law, student organizational guidelines (as outlined by the Office of Campus Life), and with all University policies including the Student Code of Conduct.  Student organizational recognition is not a right, and can be evaluated and rescinded by the University at any time for any reason.

When the University becomes aware of any allegation of misconduct by a student organization, the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs may assign a staff member to investigate and review the allegation(s), as needed, by meeting with any individual the staff member determines is warranted.  In cases involving sensitive or confidential reporting (e.g., cases involving hazing, sexual misconduct, hospitalizations, etc.), the staff member investigating the case may use appropriate discretion in releasing information placed in the report to protect the identity and confidentiality of the reporting or involved student or witness.   That staff member will meet with the organization to review the allegations related to the organization before making a recommendation back to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs on his or her evaluation of policy infraction(s) and proposed sanctions, if any (including suspension or expulsion of an organization).  The prior disciplinary history of the organization, the forthrightness and cooperation of the organization and its members during the proceedings, and the severity of the allegations may all be evaluated as part of this recommendation.      

The Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs will then choose to accept that recommendation, modify it, or conduct further inquiry on his or her own before finalizing the decision. This decision will then be communicated to the organization in writing.   This decision is final; however, in cases in which a group can clearly substantiate that an egregious and obvious error occurred at some point in the determination, it may request the Vice President and Dean of Students to review the decision.  This request must be made in writing within three days of receiving the decision and clearly outline and substantiate the error that was made. The Vice President and Dean of Students may then choose, but is not obligated, to review the case and make any modifications as deemed appropriate.

Nothing in this section prohibits the University from implementing an “interim suspension” as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct while the case is being investigated.  Nothing in this policy prohibits the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs or Vice President for Student Affairs from reviewing a case directly at any point.

Bank Account

All student organizations that are recognized by SGA will need a bank account in the organization name to receive ALL TYPES OF FUNDING.

  • ALL ACTIVE ORGS that would like to receive bear grants from SGA MUST submit an updated W-9 (filled out correctly as a 501c7) to Campus Life before the bear grant process begins in the fall.
  • To open an account the bank will need a tax ID number or EIN for the student organization. You may not use Mercer’s tax ID number. You will need a copy of your bi-laws and two people to serve as signors on the account.
  • The signors can be officers or an advisor. It is recommended that you have an advisor as a signor so that when student’s leave Mercer there is someone that can assist with bank account transitions.
  • Tax ID / Employer ID Number (EIN)

    A Tax ID Number or EIN (Employer ID Number) is like a social security number for your organization. Student organizations are often in situations that require a Federal Tax ID Number (opening an organizational bank account, conducting fundraisers, etc.). Registered student organizations are not permitted to use the College's tax identification number; therefore they are required to obtain their own EIN. The purpose of the EIN is so the IRS will not make any of an organization’s members personally responsible for taxes on revenue that the organization has earned. To get a Tax ID number, you may contact the IRS and request a Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number) or visit their Web site in order to request an EIN, Obtaining an EIN for your Student Organization